Use Contacting Congress or the House/Senate switchboard (202-225-3121)/(202-224-3121) to connect with your members of Congress.
The Call – #ProtectOurVote
Russia hacked into state voter systems in the 2016 election, successfully penetrating several of the systems in the 21 states they attempted to hack.
The heads of the U.S. intelligence agencies unanimously testified last week before the Senate Intelligence Committee that Russia is determined to interfere with our mid-term elections and could cause havoc by tampering with state voter systems.
Our state election systems desperately need to be upgraded: one in four U.S. voters vote on a system with no paper trail, and many others vote on systems that give the voter a receipt, but leave no paper trail that would allow the state to audit the accuracy of the vote count.
Many states have been attempting to harden their systems against cyberattacks, but many lack the funds and expertise to adequately do so before the 2018 elections.
Last week, House Democrats issued a comprehensive review of state voter system vulnerabilities and a bill, the Election Security Act, a key provision of which is to provide funds to states to upgrade to systems with a paper trail that can be audited.
A similar bipartisan Senate bill, the Secure Elections Act (S. 2261), was introduced in December and would provide federal funding to incentivize states to upgrade their systems to provide an auditable paper trail.
Call your members of Congress and urge them to act quickly to provide money to the states to upgrade their voter systems to ensure a paper trail that can be audited.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [CITY, STATE].
- I urge [Sen/Rep____] to immediately support legislation (Election Security Act in the House & Secure Elections Act in the Senate) to provide money for states to upgrade their voting systems to ones with a paper trail that can be audited.
- Russia attacked our 2016 elections, including hacks into state election systems and the U.S. intelligence community says they will try again this year.
- We need help, specifically funding, from the federal government to protect against a potential sophisticated cyberattack attack by Russia for the midterms.
- The integrity of our election systems is core to our democracy; Congress must act now to protect the midterms.