The Call – #ACA #NoACARepeal #ProtectOurCare
Republicans have until September 30th to repeal Obamacare with 50 votes and some are trying a “Hail Mary” pass called Graham-Cassidy, a “Trumpcare” bill that would slash Medicaid and repeal Obamacare.
Many Democrats are signing on to co-sponsor Senator Bernie Sander’s (I-VT) Medicare for All bill, which may position them well for 2020, but has no chance of passing now with a Republican Congress.
There are two likely outcomes – the first is Trump continuing to sabotage the ACA by withholding needed “CSR” subsidies and slashing enrollment outreach, causing skyrocketing premiums, faltering exchanges and counties with no insurer.
The second, and best solution politically possible, is a bipartisan bill to stabilize the exchanges, which would fund the CSR’s and encourage enrollment.
A bipartisan group of Governors has proposed a joint plan to accomplish that and the Chairman of the Senate Health Committee, Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) is holding hearings and has said a bi-partisan health care bill will be introduced soon.
In order to support the bill, Republicans are demanding “flexibility” for states. Some flexibility options will be necessary to get the bill passed, but Democrats must hold firm to ensure that the key “guardrails” that protect affordability for those with pre-existing conditions and prevent annual or lifetime caps on coverage remain.
The discussion of what flexibility on “guardrails” is permitted is urgent and critical. If the bipartisan process fails, sabotage of the ACA is the most likely outcome.
Call both your senators and tell them to enact a bipartisan bill to stabilize the ACA exchanges, encourage enrollment and keep key guardrails that ensure people with pre-existing conditions are not disadvantaged and people are not left in the lurch with caps on coverage.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [ZIP].
- Americans deserve affordable healthcare coverage and sabotage of the ACA exchanges is outrageous.
- We urgently need a bipartisan solution to stabilize the ACA exchanges with appropriate funding.
- We also need to fully fund ACA outreach to make sure there is maximum enrollment.
- A bipartisan solution must keep the guardrails that make coverage affordable for people with pre-existing conditions and prevent annual or lifetime caps.
- I urge [Sen____] to support legislation to stabilize the exchanges, fund ACA enrollment efforts and maintain the guardrails that protect the American people.