The Call – #CleanDreamAct #DefendDreamers
Trump’s termination of DACA, with a 6 month delay, has thrown the Dreamers and their families lives into turmoil.
Trump’s original agreement with Democrats to support DACA relief without a wall was greeted with enormous blow-back by his base. Trump quickly backtracked and Stephen Miller, a White House adviser with white nationalist sympathies, worked with hard-line GOP Senators to craft conditions for Dreamer legal status, including massive immigration cuts and highly punitive immigration enforcement measures.
While some Republicans in Congress will oppose any relief, there is strong sentiment among others to protect the Dreamers.
Trump now needs Democratic votes to prevent a shutdown of the government. The continuing resolutions needed to keep the government running this year are a make or break opportunity to protect the Dreamers.
To ensure the Dreamers are protected, many Democrats are vowing not to vote for any spending legislation past year end unless the Dreamers’ status is first resolved.
Ending DACA and leaving the Dreamers subject to deportation would be a cruel betrayal of young people raised as Americans. Congress must pass the Dream Act.
Call your three members of Congress and urge them to support a clean Dream Act.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [ZIP].
- I urge [Sen/Rep____] to support [S.1615/H.R.3440], the Dream Act, without conditions.
- The Dreamers arrived in the US through no fault of their own and have been raised as Americans.
- Breaking faith with the Dreamers or holding them hostage to funding for a useless wall or other costly border control measures would be cruel and un-American.
- [If your MoC is a Democrat] Refuse to authorize any government spending after year-end unless the status of the Dreamers is fairly resolved.