The Call – #TrumpTaxScam #GOPtaxscam
The House and Senate tax bills have now been referred to a conferenced committee to be “reconciled” and the result will need to be voted on again by each of the House and Senate.
Both the House and the Senate versions contain massive tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy while raising taxes for many middle class taxpayers and small businesses.
Both bills negatively impact Americans’ health with the Senate bill repealing the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate and the House bill eliminating deductions for medical expenses.
Both bills generate deficits which are expected to result in dramatic spending cuts to crucial programs like Medicare and Social Security.
Provisions of both bills raise taxes for colleges, universities and students, by taxing endowments for the first time, eliminating the interest deduction on student loans and taxing tuition benefits of grad students as income.
The bills also eliminate deductions for state and local taxes (“salt”), a big disadvantage to taxpayers in blue states, which typically have higher taxes and provide higher services.
A tax bill that does any of things is bad for Americans.
Call your 3 members of Congress and urge them to oppose any tax plan that benefits corporations and the wealthy over the middle class, imperils the health insurance or crucial benefits for many Americans or makes education less affordable.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [ZIP].
- I urge [Rep/Sen____] vote no on any tax bill that:
- Gives massive cuts to corporations and the wealthy while millions of middle class families and small businesses have tax increases.
- Risks the lives of Americans by repealing the ACA individual mandate, raising premiums for everyone and causing millions to lose insurance.
- Risks the lives and health of Americans by creating huge deficits that lead to cuts in crucial programs like Medicare and Social Security.
- Hurts education by eliminating the deductions for student loans and sharply increasing taxes on grad students and colleges.
- [Republicans in Blue states]: Oppose any bill that sharply curtails the ability to deduct state and local taxes, resulting in a big disadvantage to taxpayers in our state.