The Call – #ProtectMueller #TrumpRussia
Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation is moving forward amid revelations in the last week that he is working with NY Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and the IRS criminal investigations unit, has Paul Manafort’s notes from the Trump Tower meeting referring to a “donation,” and a damning Trump draft letter on firing Comey. News broke on Wednesday that Facebook is sharing information with Mueller about a Russian company that illegally purchased pro-Trump targeted ads during the election.
In the House, Representative Trey Gowdy (R-SC) appears to be part of a coordinated effort to derail the investigation by attacking the use of the Steele Dossier. Representative Adam Schiff (D-CA), Ranking Member of the House Intelligence Committee, has expressed serious concern that the Republican members have subpoenaed the FBI and DOJ, trying to make them, rather than Trump & Russia, the focus of the investigation.
On the Senate side, some Republicans are lobbing cheap shots at former FBI director James Comey.
In perhaps the strangest development, Representative Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) met with Julian Assange and claims he is delivering “earth-shattering” information from Assange to Trump, supposedly proving Russia did not hack the DNC.
Trump hopes to use the Republican attacks on Mueller and Comey as an excuse to fire Mueller and end the investigation. The attacks, along with Trump’s misuse of the pardon authority in the Arpaio case, highlight the need to pass the bipartisan legislation which has been introduced in the Senate to protect Mueller’s investigation. Trump is trying to stop the legislation, including a call to Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC), a sponsor of the legislation, to try to get him to kill it.
We urgently need the legislation to be accelerated to protect the investigation and prevent a Constitutional crisis.
Call your senators and tell them to support urgent legislation protecting the Mueller investigation.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [ZIP].
- I urge [Sen.____] to act as soon as possible on legislation to protect Special Counsel Mueller’s investigation.
- The threats by the President, his willingness to abuse his pardon authority and the attacks on Comey and Mueller are an attempt to obstruct justice.
- If the president is allowed to interfere with or terminate Mueller’s investigation, there will be both a Constitutional crisis and a crisis of confidence among the American people.
- Our democracy is at stake in preserving the #TrumpRussia investigation.