The Call –#DreamAct #DefendDREAMers
Trump’s termination of President Obama’s DACA executive order, with a 6 month delay, has upended the lives of the Dreamers who were brought to the US as children and raised as Americans. Not only have the Dreamers’ lives been thrown into turmoil, but their families will be deeply impacted by their possible deportation.
The impact is so cruel that numerous organization have denounced the rescission of DACA and the Pope has weighed in that the rescission is not “pro-life.” Even Trump seems conflicted, tweeting at Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) behest that he may revisit the decision in 6 months if Congress fails to act.
Bipartisan legislation, the Dream Act, has been introduced in the Senate and the House, which would protect the Dreamers so they were not subject to the whims of a Trump executive order. While some Republicans have publicly supported legislation to protect the Dreamers, many Republicans oppose it or want to attach unpopular conditions, such as funding for Trump’s proposed border wall.
Large majorities of American voters, including 73% of Trump voters, favor protecting the Dreamers, and leaving them subject to deportation would have devastating economic effect.
Ending DACA and leaving the Dreamers subject to deportation is not only a cruel betrayal of young people raised as Americans, but is also terrible for the US economy.
Call your members of Congress and urge them to support the Dream Act.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [ZIP].
- I urge [Sen/Rep____ to support the [S.1615/H.R.3440], the Dream Act, without conditions or trade-offs.
- The Dreamers arrived in the US through no fault of their own and have been raised as Americans.
- The Dreamers contribute to American society in jobs, the military and education.
- Studies show deportation of the Dreamers would have devastating economic impacts on the US.
- Breaking faith with the Dreamers or holding them hostage to funding for a useless border wall would be cruel and un-American.