The Call – #DreamActNow #DefendDreamers
Trump’s termination of DACA, with a 6 month delay, has thrown the Dreamers and their families lives into turmoil. Although Trump has since waffled, Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) say Trump agreed to back legislation protecting the Dreamers, that would not include a wall.
Trump’s deal with Democratic leadership was greeted with enormous blowback by Trump’s base. In response, Stephen Miller, a White House adviser with white nationalist sympathies, crafted conditions for Dreamer legal status, and they include massive immigration cuts and highly punitive immigration enforcement measures.
However, there is strong sentiment in Congress, even among Republicans, to protect the Dreamers. Prospects for the Dream Act without punitive conditions appear to hinge on Congress separating Trump from hard-liners on his staff.
Besides being heartless, failing to protect the Dreamers would be bad for the economy. Even the Koch-backed Cato Institute has concluded that there is a powerful economic case in favor of a clean Dream Act.
Ending DACA and leaving the Dreamers subject to deportation is not only a cruel betrayal of young people raised as Americans, but is also terrible for the US economy. Congress must pass the Dream Act without any conditions.
Call your members of Congress and urge them to support a clean Dream Act.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [ZIP].
- I urge [Sen/Rep____ to support [S.1615/H.R.3440], the Dream Act, without conditions or trade-offs.
- The Dreamers arrived in the US through no fault of their own and have been raised as Americans.
- The Dreamers contribute to American society in jobs, the military and education.
- Studies show deportation of the Dreamers would have devastating economic impacts on the US.
- Breaking faith with the Dreamers or holding them hostage to funding for a useless wall or other costly border control measures would be cruel and un-American.