The Call – #DreamActNow #NoDreamNoDeal
Trump’s original deal with Democrats to support DACA relief (without a wall) was greeted with enormous blow-back by his base. Trump is now siding with the hardliners and insisting Dreamers will not be protected unless Democrats agree to fund the wall and accept punitive immigration measure.
However there is substantial support among Republicans to protect the Dreamers, and on Monday, two Representatives unveiled a bipartisan proposal that has some promise depending on how details are filled in.
Because Trump supports immigration hardliners, it will likely be necessary for Democrats to be willing to shut down the government by refusing to authorize further spending after the January 19th deadline in order to get a vote on a deal to protect the Dreamers without a wall or punitive new measures.
Ending DACA and leaving the Dreamers subject to deportation would be a cruel betrayal of young people raised as Americans. Congress must protect the Dreamers now.
Call your three members of Congress and urge them to support a clean Dream Act.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [ZIP].
- I urge [Sen/Rep____] to support [S.1615/H.R.3440], the Dream Act, without conditions.
- The Dreamers arrived in the US through no fault of their own and have been raised as Americans.
- Breaking faith with the Dreamers or holding them hostage to funding for a useless wall would be cruel and un-American.
- Deporting the Dreamers would not only be cruel, but would hurt the economy.
- [If your MoC is a Democrat] Refuse to authorize any government spending past the January 19 deadline unless the status of the Dreamers is fairly resolved.