The Call – #ProtectDreamers #NoDreamNoDeal
Trump showed his true self in responding to senators presenting a bipartisan immigration/DACA bill on Thursday by asking why the US would want people from “shithole countries” like “Africa” and Haiti, while suggesting more immigrants from Norway.
Trump wants to appease Congressional hardliners and his base, who insist Dreamers will not be protected unless Democrats agree to fund the wall and accept punitive immigration measures.
However there is substantial support among Republicans to protect Dreamers, and bipartisan proposals in the House and Senate that have some promise depending on how details are filled in.
Trump has contradicted himself repeatedly on his DACA position, both on Twitter and in meetings, but ultimately keeps backing away from reasonable solutions and siding with his racist anti-immigrant base.
Because Trump won’t stand up to immigration hardliners, it will likely be necessary for Democrats to be willing to shut down the government by refusing to authorize further spending after the January 19th deadline in order to get a vote on a deal to protect Dreamers without a wall or punitive new measures.
Ending DACA and leaving the Dreamers subject to deportation would be a cruel betrayal of young people raised as Americans. Congress must protect the Dreamers now.
Call your three members of Congress and urge them to support a clean Dream Act.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [ZIP].
- I urge [Sen/Rep____] to support [S.1615/H.R.3440], the Dream Act, without conditions.
- The Dreamers arrived in the US through no fault of their own and have been raised as Americans.
- Breaking faith with the Dreamers or holding them hostage to funding for a useless wall would be cruel and un-American.
- Deporting the Dreamers would not only be cruel, but would hurt the economy.
- [If your MoC is a Democrat] Refuse to authorize any government spending past the January 19 deadline unless the status of the Dreamers is fairly resolved.