The Call – #ResistanceNearMe #TownHall #AugustRecess
During the summer recess, most members of Congress are in their districts and it is a traditional time to hold town halls with constituents. Town Hall Project has a list of currently scheduled town halls.
Local action by constituents, as proven in the healthcare fight, is a powerful way to influence lawmakers. Many MoC’s, especially Republicans, are avoiding town halls or making them inconvenient to avoid constituents angry about their healthcare votes or their support for Trump.
If your MoC is having a town hall, try to attend (and let friends know about it). Indivisible publishes tips for effective town hall advocacy. Indivisible also publishes tips for dealing with phone town halls.
Call your Members of Congress and ask if they are holding a town hall. If they are, do your best to attend and encourage others to attend. If not, ask them why.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [ZIP].
- Is [Rep/Sen____] holding a town hall during the August recess?
- If they are holding an in person town hall, ask for the details and let them know you appreciate the opportunity.
- If they are holding a phone town hall, tell them you are disappointed they are not meeting constituents in person.
- If no, express disappointment and ask them why.