Use Contacting Congress or the House/Senate switchboard (202-225-3121)/(202-224-3121) to connect with your members of Congress.
The Call – #ProtectOurVote #PaperBallots
Russia hacked into state voter systems in the 2016 election, successfully penetrating several of the systems in the 21 states they attempted to hack.
The heads of the U.S. intelligence agencies unanimously testified this month before the Senate Intelligence Committee that Russia is determined to interfere with our mid-term elections and could cause havoc by tampering with state voter systems.
Our state election systems desperately need to be upgraded: one in four U.S. voters vote on a system with no paper trail, and many others vote on systems that give the voter a receipt, but leave no paper trail that would allow the state to audit the accuracy of the vote count.
Many states have been attempting to harden their systems against cyber attacks, but many lack the funds and expertise to get it done before the 2018 elections.
House Democrats issued a comprehensive review of state voter system vulnerabilities and are seeking funds in the March 31st appropriations bill to assist the states in converting to paper ballots and hardening their systems against cyber security attacks.
Call your members of Congress and urge them to provide money in the March 31st appropriations bill to help states convert to paper ballots that provide trail that can be audited and harden cyber security defenses.
- This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in [CITY, STATE].
- Russia attacked our 2016 elections, including hacks into state election systems, and the U.S. intelligence community says they will try again this year.
- We need more help from the federal government to protect against an attack on state election systems.
- I urge [Sen/Rep____] to appropriate funds to help states convert to paper ballot voting systems that can be audited, and harden cyber security defenses.
- The integrity of our election systems is core to our democracy; Congress must act now to protect the midterms.